[Durham] SMART errors

David Leggett david+lists+durhamlog at asguard.org.uk
Sun Nov 9 16:09:40 UTC 2014

Hi Olly

The disk is dead, you should replace it.
You should be very glad your OS had smart monitoring turned on :)
In Debian the package is smartmontools

You can pull out all the smart details from a disk by doing
smarctl -a /dev/sd?
and you can tun some tests by doing
smartctl -t long /dev/sd?
or
smartctl -t short /dev/sd?

The test will run in the background on the disk controller.
Once the test is finished you can get the results of the last few tests by
doing
smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

Looks like you are definitely running a 2 disk raid 1 here..
MD will have noticed the read errors from the broken disk and evicted it from
the array.
I assume these are 2TB disks, in which case yes you have a 2 disk raid 1, if
it was a 3 disk raid5 the capacity should be showing ~4TB.

Assuming /dev/sdc isnt going to die any time soon you can leave it as a single
disk in the raid 1 array, otherwise I suggest adding /dev/sdd to the array.
sfdisk -d /dev/sdc | sfdisk /dev/sdd
mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdd
Give this a few (many? hours to resync)

When you have three working disks again you can migrate to a raid 5 array by
pulling one of the disks from the raid 1 and making a degraded raid5 array.
Once you have copied the data across to this new array you can add the last
disk to complete the array/
Assuming /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 are a raid1 array, md0 and that /dev/sdb is the
third disk:

Remove /dev/sdd1 from the raid1
mdadm --fail /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mdadm --zero-super /dev/sdd1

Create a 3 disk raid 5 array in degraded mode:
mdadm -C -n 3 /dev/sd[bd]1 missing

Check the array status:
cat /proc/mdstat

You can format the new array and start copying data immediately if you like,
however since the array will be initializing it is probably faster to wait for
it to complete.

Format and copy data:
mkfs.whatever /dev/md1

mkdir /mnt/md1
mount /dev/md1 /mnt/md1

cp -a /mnt/md1 /mnt/md0
Alternatively, if your old raid1 is very full and is running a filesystem that
can be extended (ext4, reiserfs, btrfs, others) it could be faster to do a
block level copy and then extend the FS.

umount /dev/md0
sync
dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/md1 bs=1M
resize2fs /dev/md1
mount /dev/md1 /mnt/md1

Now destroy the old raid1 and add the remaining single disk to the raid5:
mdadm --stop /dev/md0
mdadm --zero-super /dev/sdc1

mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/sdc1

The array will start rebuilding again generating stripes and parity data from
the other 2 disks.

watch cat /proc/mdstat
Wait for it to complete.

Job done!

You probably want to make a backup before doing this though, YMMV and while i
have done this process myself, there is always the possibility to give mdadm
the wrong device name and watch your data get annihilated.

HTH

David