[Durham] Durham Regatta

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 15:58:58 UTC 2015

All,

As a number of you know I'm part of the team that organises Durham
Regatta. This year it takes place on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th June.

This year we plan to deploy a wireless network along the length of the
course to aid in the running of the event.

I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to help setup/manage the
network over the regatta weekend. Ideally it would be good to get a
small group together to spread the load over the weekend.

More detail below for those who may be interested...

I've already installed the equipment to feed this network on the outside
of the rowing club building and have successfully tested it at a rowing
event in February. However the regatta needs more equipment installing
in a number of locations between the rowing club and Baths Bridge (700
metres towards the city from the rowing club).

There is nothing too technical to do. There are a number of external
wireless accesspoints running OpenWRT (Linux rules!) and a few
switches/car batteries and inverters to power it all. Most of it
can/will be configured before the weekend but due to the risk of vandals
it will need installing and removing each day.

Once its running it shouldn't need to much looking after (fingers
crossed) but having someone around to plug wires back in etc. would be
good. The Regatta Committee will provide food/drink (sadly we can't
provide alcohol these days!) throughout the day and a number of free
tickets for family/friends to come along.

If anyone is interested in helping then please let me know. Ideally we'd
do a test setup on the Friday to ensure that we've got everything
correct and run it for real on the Saturday and Sunday.

I will try to get down tonight but I have to be in Newcastle for a few
hours and I'm not sure what time I'll be finished there.