[Durham] Getting a MIDITECH keyboard running in Linux (for an idiot please)

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 3 08:06:41 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have an elderly Miditech Midistart Pro 42 keyboard that I'm trying to be
able to play and use to write music from.  I have little interest in
anything much more than doing this as I'm not an electronic music whizz.

I've got Rosegarden showing that it recognises and accepts data from the
keyboard but as yet haven't worked out how to get any sounds out of the
speakers or headphones.

The machine is one of my elderly laptops - a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 with
1GB of memory and an 80GB SSD - running 32 bit Xubuntu 12.04 (I don't like
14.04 and it's noticeably slower on this machine).

I've got Rosegarden, Qsynth, Qjackctl  downloaded from the Ubuntu Software
Centre.  Any ideas how I go forward from here to get sound out?  Please
assume that I'm stupid, slow and ESN in Linux in your explanations, as I'm
bound to not get it right otherwise.

Thanks,

David