[Durham] Durham Digest, Vol 352, Issue 6

David Parfitt dauddaud1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 01:34:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 12:00 +0000, durham-request at mailman.lug.org.uk
wrote:

>    1. Re: Further to: sound problem (Jonathan Gowar)

> On 2015-12-02 11:55, Martin Ward wrote:
> > On 02/12/15 09:12, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> >> Have you tried booting up with a different distro?
> >
> > I would second this suggestion: downloading and running a live CD
> > is an easy test which does not require making any changes to
> > the laptop. If you find a version which works, you could either
> > just use that distribution or investigate further to see what
> > differences there are between the sound code in the two distributions.
>
> I third the motion :)  I know Jessie (and Wheezy) zealously cuts
> proprietary binaries, so that could be the cause here, and as previously
> commented it will at least rule out a factor or two.

Thanks for your responses Dougie, Martin & Jonathan.  Sorry I haven’t
answered before.
I unintentionally omitted this from my initial info - I had in fact
tried out Mint 7.2, and some iteration of Archlinux (not my disk & I had
no details).  Neither of these helped.
However, I've just managed to try out Knoppix 7.6, which has the 4.2.2
kernel, and lo & behold!  Sound works fine out of the box.
So, it seems that I'll have to stick with the external sound card &
Debian, or research & adopt a new distro w/ a much newer kernel.
Thx again for your input.
D2