[Durham] Further to: sound problem + December meeting

David Parfitt dauddaud1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 13:00:57 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-12-06 at 12:00 +0000, durham-request at mailman.lug.org.uk
wrote:

> From: Oliver Burnett-Hall <olly at burnett-hall.co.uk>
>
> It might not be the different kernel version in Knoppix that's solved
> the problem -- it could also be that the Knoppix disc included a
> different module than Debian and Arch, or included firmware that your
> soundcard needs.
>
> I strongly suspect it's the latter, missing firmware. On Debian try
> installing package firmware-misc-nonfree (available in
> jessie-backports); the description for that package mentions firmware
> for Intel Skylake hardware (see
> https://packages.debian.org/en/jessie-backports/firmware-misc-nonfree).
>
> Let me know if you have any luck with this.
>
> - olly

A.
Thx Olly
It's my understanding (far from expert!) that GNU/linux sound modules
are included in the kernel.  There does not seem to be any
sound-specific firmware out there (unlike e.g wifi & graphics)  My sound
chip seems to use the snd_hda_intel module, which is certainly included
- hence newer kernel = newer sound module.  However, as I say, I'm a
casual user, not a computer scientist.

I've had a look at the firmware-misc-nonfree package in
jessie-backports.  The Skylake firmware mentioned in the description is
all graphics-related.  Nonetheless, I installed it - but to no avail,
I'm afraid.

B.
I'll try to come along to the meeting on 15th if it's happening ...
Regards
D2