[Durham] Samba shares using group/user authentication

Andrew Glass andrew.glass at icloud.com
Sun Jan 11 11:56:57 UTC 2015

Hey guys

Wonder if someone can help me by writing or point me in the direction of a dummies guide as Im getting so confused.

Ive had to use umask to allow my home samba server users to modify files and folders that I have created, previously I was having to chmod the folder and file every time I created something the other user wanted to use.

Ive followed this tutorial to use group authentication   https://www.howtoforge.com/samba-server-install-on-debian-7-wheezy-p2 however  I really dont understand using groups for samba. Once I have chown a folder to a user in the group how do I allow others to access that folder and modify the file automatically?

This is the setup id like to have

I as user A - have access to all shares
User B has access to some folders but not all

Currently I have my smb.conf as follows

[global]
  workgroup = WORKGROUP
  server string = DebServ
  server role = standalone server
  security = user
  map to guest = Bad User
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  max log size = 50
  dns proxy = no

[Bigpot]
  path = /mnt/bigpot
  public = yes
  valid users = andrew
  writable = yes

[Storepot]
  path = /mnt/storepot
  public = yes
  valid users = andrew carla
  writable = yes

[Movies]
 path = /mnt/movies
 public = yes
 valid users = andrew carla
 writable = yes

[datty]
 path = /mnt/storepot/datty
 public = yes
 valid users = datty
 writable = yes

Then I have modifed the umask as follows to 002

/etc/pam.d/common-session

session optional pam_umask.so umask = #VALUE (e.g. 0026)

Cheers for your help and my apologies if Im being a little thick here.

Andy