[Durham] awstats and weblogs

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 21:48:53 UTC 2015

Has anyone had much success with awstats?

The website www.elvet-striders.org.uk runs on a linux platform hosted by
Mythic Beasts. I have shell access to the account (not not root access
naturally).

I take regular backups and have a local mirror of the apache access
logs. I thought I'd be able to install awstats and analyse the logs
copied from Mythic-Beasts but I'm confused about how to configure
things. I also tried installing awstats directly (in the 'elvet'
account) on Mythic Beasts but couldn't figure out how to configure it.

I've also been looking at Google Analytics and statcounter. I'm leaning
more to statcounter as it seems a bit simpler and not as goal/marketing
driven as GA. I'm not really interested in selling anything or adwords
or anything like that. But statcounter wants its code embeded 'in every
page' - and I'm not quite sure what that means. Does it mean, every
directory? Or every html or php file? Some directories don't have an
index file as they're just a collection of individual html files.

I'm really just looking for some simple webstats - page hits of
individual pages mostly. I'd be interested in an avenues worth exploring
that don't involve too much heavy lifting.

Dougie