[Durham] awstats and weblogs

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 12:17:56 UTC 2015

On 07/03/15 22:06, Richard Mortimer wrote:
> On 07/03/2015 21:48, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
>> Has anyone had much success with awstats?
> I've had some success with it. It can be a bit of a pain to configure
> but once that's done it does work pretty well.

Thanks Richard, I take some comfort from knowing that it's not just me
that has found it tricky to set up.

> >From memory the main thing is to make sure you setup the right LogFormat
> setting. Generally one of the examples that comes with awstats is pretty
> much correct but I haven't tried things with the servers that I host at MB.
>
> You also need to point it at the right logfiles to get them processed.

I'll give it another go. I may have questions ..

> There is also piwik.org an open source alternative to the above. I've
> never tried it but it might fit your needs too.

I've just had a look at that and although it looks promising it needs
the relevant code embedded into every webpage, which is a big job.
Especially as I'm working on a legacy website and if I'm editting
unfamiliar code I don't want to tinker with forces I don't understand!

> Does it mean, every
> directory? Or every html or php file? Some directories don't have an
> index file as they're just a collection of individual html files.
> Every html. Basically the JS does a bit of magic to track visits to each
> page etc.
That's a lot of files. Yep - it looks like I need to man-up and
reconsider awstats.

Dougie