[Durham] meeting reminder

Jannetta Steyn jannetta at henning.org
Tue Apr 19 07:52:20 UTC 2016

Hi All

I'm going to try and make it to the group tonight. I've been once or
twice before but it is a bit difficult for me to make it regularly with
family commitments and all.

However, I think you guys might be able to (and hopefully want to) help
me with something exciting. My daughter is a student at New College
Durham and she has to raise funds for going on a World Expedition Trip
to Sri Lanka next year. The group gets to help out on community project
in small villages and the students get some experience in community
work, leadership and see a bit what life is like outside of our comfy
bubbles :-)

So I came up with the idea of hosting a Minecraft Scavenger Hunt
Competition.  We "bury" blocks that are prizes in a Minecraft world and
participants have to dig to find the prizes. We are thinking of making
this a whole day thing at the college while at the same time as the
scavenger hunt also running mini games and a market where people can
sell Minecraft related items.

I started working through Spigot tutorials to learn to write plug-ins
and I have a student with a lot of experience in plug-ins to help me.
But this is only a small part of it all as you can imagine. The biggest
problem is the network infra-structure. I was hoping to get the college
IT on our side but they couldn't even be bothered to respond to my
email. So at the moment I am working with one of the teachers on the
idea of hosting the competition in the sports hall where we figure we
can have up to 72 power points and we'll create a network with some
switches and 10baseT cat5 cable. People then bring their own laptops.

So this is the basic information for a start. I'm sure there are some
Minecraft enthusiast on this list. I would like to hear from you. Do you
think it is a good idea? Do you have any suggestions? Would you be able
to help in some way? Do you know where I can get switches enough for 72
computers and a shed load of cat5? (We can make up the cables ourselves
so we just need to connectors and a large roll of cable)

Hope to hear from you all.

Kind Regards
Jannetta

--