[Durham] website refresh / wordpress-themed club night

Oliver Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 10:56:24 UTC 2016

On 5 January 2016 09:52:57 GMT+00:00, mark <mark at re-pute.it> wrote:
>Happy new year everyone.
>
>Our website [1] is looking a bit neglected at the moment and I thought
>it might be good to kick off 2016 by having a general tidy-up and a
>chat
>about how to make the best use of it.

I agree that something needs to be done, I can believe that a random visitor might think our group is defunct from looking at the website.

However, I've got an alternative proposal: dump the website and use Meetup instead. Using a proprietary service like Meetup isn't ideal for a group focused on free/open source software, but I think it has some advantages. First off, a lot of people are using Meetup and that would make it easier to attract new members. Secondly, it's incredibly easy to use, both as an organiser and as an attendee. People can use existing Facebook or Google accounts to register with Meetup, or easily create an account not linked to anything if they're not keen on social media. A disadvantage is that you have to pay to organise a group, but I've already got a paid account so could set up one for the LUG at no extra cost.

--
— olly