[Durham] website refresh / wordpress-themed club night

mark mark at re-pute.it
Wed Jan 6 11:07:09 UTC 2016

On 05/01/16 10:27, Richard Mortimer wrote:
> 1 - introducing themed nights like you suggest. We used to do that when
> the LUG first started round about 2000. I was thinking about
> volunteering to do a session on IPv6. I did one on IPv4 in 2000 and
> figured that given that now is good for an update. 2016 is likely to be
> the year of wide v6 deployment in the UK (BT, Sky & Virgin Media are
> well advanced in roll out plans). I've been running it for 6+ years now
> but in the past year it really has really started to become widely
> available on the server side.
>
> I'm sure there are a couple of other ideas that we could use to run 3 or
> 4 themed session nights a year. It just relies on interested people to
> come up with ideas and volunteer.

I like the sound of this very much, I know that there is a lot of
expertise in the group and we should make the most of it.

> 2 - as a group I think it would be good if we could give something back
> to the rowing club/community. We've used the clubhouse, mostly for free,
> since the extension opened in 2009. I don't think there's an immediate
> cause for concern but big commercial functions are always going to take
> priority over our small group. It would be nice to have some examples
> that the supportive members of the club management team can use to argue
> our case.
>
> I've got a few project ideas that would be useful to the club and which
> nicely fit into our linux interests without being too onerous. Some
> improve the infrastructure in the clubhouse and others help to run the
> regattas based out of the clubhouse. I've started to work on an outline
> of some of these and will send that round later today.

Defintely sounds good. Sometimes it's great to just chat and quaff fine
ales, but being productive is also fun and it would feel good to give
something back to our hosts.

Bring it on, I say!

Mark

--