[Durham] Debian on a 2011 macmini

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 14:03:19 UTC 2019

On 14/08/2019 18:27, Richard Mortimer wrote:
> For a number of years I had a Mac Mini in co-lo with Mythic Beasts. They
> still offer that service and have some useful configuration information
> on their site.
>
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/servers/colo/macmini
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/sales/colo/macmini
>
> >From what I remember it was just a standard Debian install that they
> used. Indeed I'm pretty sure it was a fairly bog standard kernel because
> I compiled my own to run IPv6 back in the days before they had gone big
> into IPv6. At the time they had their own kernel package but I do have a
> feeling that everything was eventually pushed into the mainline kernel.
> Obviously the Debian pages you linked reflect that too but are a little
> light on detail.

I have a virtual machine with Mythic Beasts. I looked at the Mac Mini
option but it was too pricey. I can't remember the precise package I
have now but it's quite nifty. I tried their Raspberry Pi offering for a
while too but it was too slow, in the end upgrading my virtual machine
as there wasn't any real advantage to me of the rpi - apart from
offering a lot of storage space fairly cheaply.

Once I used the correct ISO to install on my own Mac Mini it has been a
piece of cake. Suspiciously easy. And so much nicer than OSX.

Dougie