[Durham] hardware for QGIS

mark mark at aktivix.org
Tue Jun 18 12:16:37 UTC 2019

Hello peeps,

Sorry I won't be able to make it this evening, but I wonder if anyone
with relevant experience could help me answer a question for a friend?

My friend is running QGIS at the moment on a thinkpad T410. She was
doing so under windows7, I helped her move to Debian Stretch and there
was a big improvement, but she still wants more power (Igor), i.e. to be
ready to handle indefinitely large shapefiles with rapid rendering and
the ability to generate 3D projections.

Network at place of work is flakey, so cloud compute servers aren't
going to work.

My question is, what would QGIS users consider "good" rather than
minimal specs for a user who wants to be ready for whatever her boss
throws at her? Never having used it, is QGIS one of those applications
that genuinely needs a very fast, very multicore CPU, or do you just use
a midrange CPU and add lots or RAM? Put a big swap partition on an m.2
SSD, or is SATA3 good enough? And not being a gamer, what's considered
to be a tasty graphics chip in a linux laptop these days?

All the best,
Mark

--
OpenPGP key expiry date extended - refresh from pool.