[Falkirk] New PC/Graphics card

Martin falkirk at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 21 12:52:03 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Fraser" <saf104@ukonline.co.uk>
To: <falkirk@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 4:47 PM
Subject: [Falkirk] New PC/Graphics card

> Hi all,
>
> my laptop has developed an intermittent fault which means I am in the
> market for a new PC.  Can anyone recommend a good local place for a
> custom built PC in the Falkirk/Stirling area.
>
> More importantly, could I have a few opinions on the following graphics
> cards under Linux:
>
> geforce 2 MX200 63MB
> geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB

I can definitely comment on the first two, as I have them both. I have only
run the Geforce 2 in Linux, but my understanding is that Nvidia cards in
general do quite well with Linux - tho with earlier Mandrake distros you had
to edit a file. Certainly Mandrake 8.2 picks it right up and lets you play
Tux Racer with no additional configuration.
I downloaded the UT2003 demo this morning (if you don't know what that is -
stop reading now).

The geforce 2 MX200 card actually runs it quite smoothly with a Celeron 800
Mhz. (in Windows 98 SE) and 512 Mb RAM.

However, the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128 Mb with a 2.2 Ghz P4 and 640 Mb RAM is
absolutely stunning (this time in Windows XP).

I do run a Linux box, but I don't want to put the Geforce 4 into it at this
stage.

BTW, Epic to their credit are releasing the Linux version of UT2003 at the
same time as the Windows version!

If you can run to it, get the Geforce 4 Ti4200 128 Mb version -
www.redstore.com are selling a Chaintech version for £99 + VAT.

If you're looking to build your own PC ( and I recommend it, it's great
fun), post back here for a few pointers. For example, Athlon's are no longer
the obvious choice for home builders.

Regards

Martin