[Falkirk] Viking and Basemaps (was: Hi all)

Greg Sutcliffe greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 11:13:46 UTC 2009

On 22:32 Tue 14 Jul     , Scofield, Tim wrote:
> On 07/13/2009 06:15 AM, Greg Sutcliffe wrote:
> > Hi guys,

> I'm still using an older version (svn revision 740 it looks like), and I
> checked and the Terra server topos still work well. You have to change
> to UTM mode for viewing, but it told me I needed to (At one point you
> just had to know).

It does give that warning in the latest checkout. Good tip though :)

> Unfortunately haven't been paying enough attention to know what
> contributions need to be made.  It sounds like you've tested the
> Terraserver Topos. Make sure you're in UTM  mode, and no less than 2mpp
> (meters per pixel ). If it still doesn't work then maybe this is
> something you or I could try to dig into. (I know how to create memory
> leaks in C - pretty easy :-)  )

> Tim

I think you've inadvertantly nailed it. I'm in Scotland :)

At the moment my attention is focussed on creating base maps for the
Garmin itself, as the basic "yellow-with-motorways" isn't a lot of use
for walking (or anything really). Have I missed this functionality in
Viking? I'm currently playing with mkgmap for this function, but it'd
be nice to see Viking able to dump out the Map layer(s?) to a gmapsupp.img

Greg