[Falkirk] Pptpd connection logging

Greg Sutcliffe greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:02:13 UTC 2012

On 22 March 2012 14:01, Paul Mcclung <pmcclung2011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a small server running ubuntu 11.04 and acting as a vpn server. I
> would like to be able to log who is connected when and what ip they are
> allocated but I cannot seem to find any info on this. Any help would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Hi Paul,

Depends on your vpn software I guess. I personally use a
certificate-based OpenVPN, and I see logs of this form:

<date> <server> daemon.notice openvpn[pid]:
<certname>/<external-ip>:<port> SENT CONTROL [<certname>]:
'PUSH_REPLY,route-gateway <server-ip>,ping 10,ping-restart
120,ifconfig <internal ip> <internal netmask>'

Which can be grepped out of the log to provide a map of certname->internal-ip

That's a bit clunky though. OpenVPN does keep a list of connected
clients somewhere, but I run mine on an OpenWRT router, which is
therefore a bit cut-down, and I can't just find where it stores it.

Not much, but might be a start.
Greg