[Glastonbury] Thank you

s~TV s~TV at fractalsoup.org
Fri Apr 11 20:02:01 2003

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for popping back with the knoppix cd and also for taking the
initiative to meet in person this morning.

There are lots of routes we can take in the future, but initially if we
can get some other members and get a dialogue going via the list we can
use it as a lead for how we want to proceed as a User(s) Group.

There will be practicalities to confirm when we are ready to meet at the
school which I would also like publicised in the local press. I had
hoped to go for April but it looks like May now, but that's O.K.

I expect you have read the HOWTO for LUGs at
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/User-Group-HOWTO.html

I will re-read this tomorrow and ask that you do the same.
Lets see what comes from us (re)reading it.

I really liked to hear your ideas for a BEOWULF and to offer a
Supercomputer for Rendering.

If you could elaborate more via this list. Lets get the discussion going
regarding what is possible for the LUGOG.

As I said as far as the school are concerned they will be thinking of
cost intially (unfortunately) and educational benefits for the students
alongside current government initiatives second. As you know they are
extremely cautious when taking risks or doing something different.
Through diplomacy (and I have to say opportunism) I am gradually winning
hearts and minds to Open Source. I know that this will be through a
hybrid dual boot approach. I am likely to be at St Dunstan's for
sometime yet ( I have two children aged 9 and 7 and we are settled in
Glastonbury ).

I am a Teacher but also a Teacher who does other things and brings those
elements to his teaching. Working in Eduaction is frustrating when
trying to pioneer new approaches but is also rewarding to see the
students using the new approach.

Whatever path we take we will need sponsorship so this is another route
we could explore together. If we get the arts bid we will have to act
fast to influence any management decisions about Technology used and
approaches throughout. I have won over Pam Isles through the help I have
given her in supporting the bid as well as the extra hours I put in for
the school. She can be considered our ally.

So to sum up
 >Inviting other users to the group
 >Timing of press release to coincide with first meeting
 >LUG HOWTO
 >BEOWULF and rendering
 >Possibilities for St Dunstan's

It was a pleasure to meet you Martin and I am looking foward to us
working further together in advocating Open Source.

Kind Regards,
steve leonard-clarke.