[Glastonbury] Glastonbury LUG

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 19:51:40 2003

Hope this one makes it out :)  Apropos SuSE 8 / 8.1, Konqueror problems
and KPPP.  Pick the more up to date version and stick with it.  Install
the same version on each of your machines.

Be prepared to do a completely fresh install: in place upgrades don't
always work on RPM based systems in my experience (but I could be
showing bias here).

KPPP may need a null /etc/ppp/options - in older versions, it "fought"
with other scripts IIRC. [But this is a Debian box so may differ slightly].

The Konqueror problem may automagically go away if you re-install.

[Note for folk new to Linux: a modern distribution takes about 1 1/2 hours
to install "everything" on a large hard disk.  Be prepared to do this once,
take notes from Windows about what your hardware reports before you do it,
and take notes as you do it.  If this fails, be prepared to start over again.
You will have wasted about the same time as watching Laurence of Arabia /
Gone with the Wind - and much less than the Godfather trilogy / complete
Star Wars :)  Windows 98 takes roughly the same time without any applications
loaded / XP may, potentially be slightly shorter / longer.  Linux takes fewer
reboots :) ]

If all else fails, mail me off list and I'll single step through it with
you (I have a copy of SuSE 8.0 personal edition here.)

HTH,

Andy

amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk