[Glastonbury] an Idea ends I guess

Mike Keogh glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 7 11:09:02 2003

--=======3993CC0=======

Hi,

Thanks for your responses to the paper.  It was to test the water
really.  For this sort of project there has to be a great deal of
enthusiasm and constructive energy - vision really, not to put too fine a
point on it.  And also a degree of harmony, open agendas etc.  For my part
I really belive in the ideas in the paper, have done research on it, spoken
and schmoozed to a few people.  But this would be a project in which there
needed to e a team, and one in which their creative emergencies were
directed to wards creating something.  Forgive me, I can't see that
emerging at the moment.  I may not know much about the details of Linux,
but the point is, I don't NEED to, to be able to appreciate it, and to be
able to build something with it.  I have just spent some time in the
states, the atmosphere there is really enmeshing, for them the glass really
is half full

Glastonbury for so long, and I have been here for some time, is full of
people who love to criticise, talk things down, moan, - the glass is not
just half empty, its leaking!!!!! - and there is a kind of thrill they get
from talking in this way.  Perhaps on the more positive, it may be just
talk about aspirations - but they never seem to realise these!   There is
nothing wrong in dreaming, but what you have to do is make that dream, that
vision, a reality, and that takes effort and commitment.  If you want the
Glastonbury Lugog to remain a monthly talking shop, with people simply
using it to raise slightly nerdy comments about different configurations of
systems, and what is a better version of a piece of software, or how you
pronounce the word Linux, (p-lease!) so be it.  All that stuff is useful
(apart from the drivel about pronunciation) ...but somehow Linux should be
more than that, and I kind of feel that we owe it both to the worldwide
Linux community and to the town to create something.  Well, at least I
tested the waters before I put too much energy into it.  I have a lot to
give.  Its a shame... I really think it could have worked.

Mike

---