[Glastonbury] Installing packages

nick irwin glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 9 00:43:00 2003

Hello,

For a long time I have heard that Debian is the Distribution to use to make
installing packages easier.

I am a dedicated Mandrake user, as it was the best way for me to switch from
my very crash prone Windows installation. But I have found a huge problem
with Mandrake and its "dependency" issues.

After reading up on the apt-get feature of Debian, I realised that it seems to
work in much the same way as Mandrakes' 'grpmi'. The problem with grmpi, is
in my opinion, that there are not enough quality sources to download from.

Do people think that Debians system works better? If so is this simply because
they have better download sources?

I only ask because I am thinking of installing Debian alongside my existing
Windows and Mandrake installations, to evaluate the effectiveness of Debian
over Mandrake and see if I am really ready for the change.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the dependency issues.

Cheers
--
Nick Irwin
E-Mail: nirwin@pulbah.plus.com