[Glastonbury] Bigger breasts

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 09:37:01 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Kelvin McNulty wrote:

> Did anyone else get a mail asking if one wanted to have bigger breasts?

15 / 16ths of my mail is crap from sexual perverts and quacks selling
snake oil.  (That's 60 out of every 64.)

This is a reflection on 21st C. mores and capitalist attitudes, no more.
Bring back the Taliban.

> Because it comes through the list, I cannot easily filter it out. I will
> remove myself from the list if this happens again.

Thus allowing the sexual perverts and E. European organised crime to
dictate your behaviour to you.
Nice show of spirit, Kelvin.  I admire your attitude.

> if this list continues to be a completely open list, and
> therefore to be effectively an open relay

That's total garbage; and you should know better.

Open list DOES NOT == open relay.

An open list is open for anyone to post.  If the people responsible for
it can't be bothered to properly apply filters / moderating procedures,
then that's their own stupid fault.  (As well you know, I have been
running open lists for well over two years for this town, and never once
relayed any spam.  Oh yes, I get plenty of bitch, bitch, bitch from
would-be subscribers in town with totally anarchic ideas about being
allowed to post absolutely anything *they* like, and not have *their*
deathless prose be subjected to any moderation/editing procedure, but
then I'm a responsible editor, and prepared to take ressponsibility for
what is published under my name.)

An open relay is a mail server in the state the glastonbury.co.uk server
(and all sites which depended on it) was in some eighteen months ago --
when absolutely anybody, from anywhere in the world, could use it to
post as much mail as they wanted, in unchecked volume, with unchecked
content.

There is a HUGE difference between the two.

> then I
> will inevitably remove myself from the list.

Simplistic coward.

> So much for the idea, beloved by
> Martin, of free and open access to the list.

I have *never* proposed that open lists should be either unedited or
unmoderated.  (But just listen to the howls and screams from the
town-dwelling cats as they are herded into having their contributions
filtered through an editor / moderator.  If you want anarchy, you can
have it.  If you want regulation, you can have it.  But you can't have
both, simultaneously.)

> It just takes one...

 . . . to fight back effectively against those who would destroy the
society whose standards we struggle to maintain.

Regards,
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/