[Glastonbury] Installing packages

Tim Hall glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 15:17:00 2003

Hi Nick,

I think the Debian apt-get system works very well.
personally I use dselect, not everyone's choice admittedly. It takes a little
getting used to, but beyond that is relatively simple. I have hardly ever had
to worry about dependancy issues, You just choose the software you want, it
downloads it and sets it up for you in one go (more or less), and you
generally have a working program, which runs from a newly updated menu entry.
It's pretty smart.

It has to be said, Debian IS a bitch to configure (not always... [pauses for
Martin to notice the troll-baiting]) Personally I'm happy with editing text
files in vi, and I'm coming to prefer it, but it's not everyone's favourite.
The positive side is that once it's set up properly it stays that way.

I'm grinning slightly at the moment as most of my windows-using friends'
pooters have fallen over due to viruses and registry muck-ups. Mine is still
chugging along sweetly. I am SO happy with my OS.

On Saturday 09 August 2003 00:36, nick irwin wrote:
> Do people think that Debians system works better? If so is this simply
> because they have better download sources?

cheers

tim hall