[Glastonbury] Correct terminology

nick irwin glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 19:15:28 2003

On Friday 22 Aug 2003 17:12, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> Be exact.  Remember to say:
>
>      "It's a Windows virus"  -- NOT: "it's a computer virus".

Yeah ok it is important to know which operating system is affected, but
Windows does take a lot of stick about virus attacks, and its not really
their fault (entirely). We all know Linux has security holes, but most users
try to patch them as soon as possible.
Windows just has a lot of lazy users and most people that write a virus, write
a Windows one, if there was such interest in Linux, how would it hold out to
such a bombardment of Virii?

> Do you believe the American public would ever tolerate a non-American
> product behaving in this way, without screaming for massive compensation?

No I don't!!! I have noticed exactly the same thing with Linux vs Windows
arguement, you tell ppl how great Linux is, then when they see you using it
and some alpha piece of software crashes. They look at you funny and say "Oh
my god, it crashed, thats not very good". despite the fact that Windows does
it to em 5 times a day and needs to be restarted to recover from it.

Still its nice to watch the news of the latest virus and know that your system
won't be affected. :-)

--
Nick Irwin
E-Mail: nirwin@pulbah.plus.com