[Glastonbury] Red Hat... coverdisk

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 13:47:01 2003

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:58:16AM +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 01:27, Sean Miller wrote:
> > I notice that a copy of the latest (?) RedHat distro is included on the DVD
> > version of one of the computer magazines this month.
> >
> > Any experiences gratefully received...
>
> I've used RedHat for years, practically every day.
> It's OK, though I have had a few problems with some of the releases.
> (But I haven't tried other distros for a while so I can't really compare it.)
>
> Damon

Redhat-"derived" multimedia desktop distro.

Real RH is 3 iso's worth - and you need all three for a reasonable
install for RH 9.0

Both RH and SuSE are now positioning themselves for the enterprise
and server markets.  RH are pulling out of marketing boxed sets
for consumers.

If you want to change from SuSE and keep the most current software

try one of

RH beta "Severn"

Mandrake 9.1 - the easiest install of any distro IMHO.

Knoppix and a hard disk install

Debian

In a hurry, so can't go into detail now

Andy