[Glastonbury] Websites

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 22:40:12 GMT 2003

On 18 Dec 2003, peter wrote:

> We have had business link over today and they have been speaking about a
> content managed site, Basically a template of a website and we can
> upload images and text etc.
> Just wondered what people thoughts were on this. Any open source
> templates out there?

Yes.  Loads.

Try:  PHP-Nuke
      post-nuke
      PHPwebsite
      ez-publish
      zope                 etc. etc. etc.

If you want to see them in action, and play with setting up an account,
publishing your own material, etc:

     http://startext.demon.co.uk/g-net/
                                /phpweb/

(I have others, but can't remember where they are off the top of my
head); or Tom Billing's superb Glastonbury site:

     http://glastonbury.gov.uk/

which is entirely based on PHPwebsite.

ez-publish is great, but a total resource hog (I've just blown mine away
because of this); PHP-Nuke suffers from problems allowing amended code
to be folded in to the main release; Post-nuke is a fork of PHP-Nuke;
I favour phpWebsite myself, which is yet again a variation on the same
fundamental PHP code.  (Most require PHP + MySQL to work.)

Tom Billing's site won't allow you to post your own personal opinions to
the forum or anything potentially socially disruptive like that; but you
*can* set up your own calendar of local events.  You can also publish
comments and your own articles -- but ONLY if they're approved by the
web site editor himself.

Google around, and you'll find dozens of others to play with.

Maybe the LUGoG site should put up a different one each week?
[I know Sean is playing around with mambo, for example.]

Cheers,