[Glastonbury] meeting tomorrow

s~TV glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 18:28:01 2003

hi lugog,
looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

central gazette should be there for a photo and quick look around 7.30pm
so if you can only make it for a short while please aim to be there for
then ;-)

i have sent in a general blurb about the use of linux and open source at
school as well as LUGOG. anything else you may want to add needs to be
said tomorrow eveening to the reporter.
let's be "OPEN"
what does this group mean to you?

anyway below is the .txt of what was sent.
i expect they will chop and change.

regards,
s~TV

"Despite a restricted budget this year I am looking at ways to continue
to expand the use of ICT in teaching and learning at St. Dunstan’s
Community School as well as open our doors to the general public to come
in and use our equipment and facilities.

One way I have saved money and expanded at the same time is through the
introduction of a “Thin Client” network for generic office use and
internet access. Thin Client means the user workstation needs very
little hardware inside it in order to run applications. All you need is
a powerful server. The new network runs on Linux (pronounced
“lee-nooks”), a free and open source operating system. Linux began with
Linus Torvalds in 1991. As a student of ICT in Helsinki University Linus
created his own Unix-compliant Operating System and released it over the
internet as an Open Source operating system that could be freely
distributed via the internet. Open Source means that the code for the
system is also available for people to see and adapt to their needs.
Because of this the Linux system quickly became a “programmers system”
and an internet community grew up adding to the source code and scope of
what it can do. Linux is all about “community” and “collaboration”. Over
the past 12 years Linux has evolved into a highly advanced and user
friendly operating system that is stable and secure as well as having a
price tag of £0.00. There are also 1000’s of free applications that will
run on it. Because it is so stable industry are now switching to it. For
example Hollywood now use Linux as a platform to render Computer
Generated Images. Star Wars Episode 1, Nemesis, Lord of the rings to
name a few. The logo for Linux is Tux the Penguin. Much friendlier than
a 4 coloured Window?

In schools for each machine we would normally have to pay for the
Licence for the “Windows” Operating System as well as the Licence for
Microsoft Office as well as using a new machine that can handle it. This
comes to approximately £600 per machine. However using Linux means we
can use a stable and free operating system with “Open Office” which is
also free. Open Office is interchangeable and compatible with Microsoft
Office. So for a network of 15 machines I save the school £9000. Now
with any new system or program there will be training issues but if
students and staff as well as the general public understand why using
Open Source software is better than using a closed and proprietary
system like Windows I believe they will put in the extra time to learn
how to use it. Students are finding it easy to use and I have been able
to provide Internet and Generic Office applications to more students as
a result.

Running a network “Thin Client” also means we can run the software on
older machines. I would like to thank http://www.free-computers.org for
donating the P100 computers to us and http://irlcomputers.com  for
helping us get set up.

The way forward for the school will be to adopt a “hybrid” approach so
that students see and use more than one type of operating system. By
using Open Source software students will be able to use software at home
and can be legally supplied by the school with software that is
compatible with MSOffice as well as Linux. Two main packages we are
already using are “Open Office” and the film industry graphics package
“The GNU Image Manipulation Program”. Both of these will also run on
windows machines and are freely available. If you would like to find out
more please visit http://www.linuxinschools.org which I set up in Dec 2001.

I have also set up a new community project using Linux and Open Source
software. Its name is The Linux User Group of Glastonbury or LUGOG which
can be found at http://www.lugog.org. We meet every first Wednesday of
the month between 6 and 9pm. Our first meeting was last month and
already interest in this new and exciting system is blooming. I am most
pleased to find support and enthusiasm locally from all ages and
interests. Anyone else interested in finding out more about Linux and
Open Source software is most welcome to come along.

Currently I am applying for sponsorship to develop this further as well
as find a source for second hand computers for “recycling”.
In September an evening course all about Linux is due to run as part of
the Adult Education programme at the school. Get in touch with the
Leisure Centre if you are interested."