[Glastonbury] meeting tomorrow (fwd) RANT

Sean Miller glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 2 07:14:00 2003

Right, now... let's discuss something a little different, but on the
same theme.

What is the list's opinion on Crossover Office?!? For those that do not
know, it is a product that retails at $55 or thereabouts which allows
you to install Micro$oft products on Linux (eg. Micro$oft Word, Access,
Powerpoint etc. etc. )

It's an evolution of wine, but is far more user-friendly and allows the
end user to have a pretty much complete Micro$oft experience on their
desktop... from a corporate point of view, it saves the operating system
licence costs but would still require the actual product licences to be
aquired... hence it brings the TCO of the desktops down, but not as far
as migrating to something such as Staroffice would.

Now, the merits of migrating to Staroffice at St. D's... well, I think
one thing that should not be forgotten in our evangelising about Linux
(which I have always pronounced "lee-nooks", as that is what all the
people I deal with in business appear to do) is that Steve is trying to
educate people to go out into the world and find jobs and
(unfortunately) at this point in time business is asking for skills in
proprietary Micro$oft products still... I see adverts in the gazette,
and "Computer Weekly", saying "experience with Microsoft word essential"
or the like... would teaching the children something else help them when
they have to go into the world?? I would suggest not... but with
something like Crossover it may be possible to bring the educational
spend down, introduce children to an alternative (better) operating
system but still provide them with the experience in the tools that
potential employers are like to - for a while at least - be expecting
them to be familiar with.

Discuss.

Sean