[Glastonbury] interesting meeting_thanx

glastonbury@mailman.lug.org.uk glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 14:42:01 2003

Cheers to all for an interesting meeting on wednesday.
(Still emerging from the Pilton time-space continuum warp myself at the time,
but learning what i needed to...)

As for flyer for next meeting - i'll get it out in next couple of weeks and
attach it to email so that anyone can print it up and distribute it if they
want. I'll spread it around too.We'll try to boost publicity - meeting almost
combines with launch of local broadband so seems good timing. As for publicity,
everyone has their own take on on what Linux can be, is, or represents. Steve
has done a mighty job bringing this together and has some valuable insights on
how Linux is presented and publicised.

Had a thought too - changing operating systems can take a while to do and get
organised (whether from windows to Mac/ windows to Linux, etc, data, etc). So
the initial options of dual booting, CrossOver (which allows the continuation
of licensed software use combined with Freeware and Linux specific software),
and running software on various platforms seems great before a complete
transfer to Linux. Probably has to be expected that there is an uncertainty or
unwillingness for companies to change over because of these setup procedures
and slight changes of system use, especially when the workload on a system is
continuous. I think that this is where the ability to offer technical support
based on knowledge and know how will be an invaluable service.

Anyway...
Duncan