[Glastonbury] Knoppix

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 22:39:00 2003

On 4 Jul 2003, peter wrote:

> Well is was not a problem with the graphics card that i had. because i
> had the same problem with my home machine it uses a Nvida tnt2 card.

Peter -- can you describe *exactly* what is happening when you boot from
the Knoppix CD?
Have you used the 'help' option on boot-up?
(My laptop will only boot using the 'knoppix noscsi' option, because of
the combi CDR/W + DVD drive in it.)
What error message(s) are you getting?

> Again no suitable driver for X I would guess that  would be why it
> wouldn't work on the laptop during the meeting either, may be it is a
> problem with Knoppix ?

I have difficulty in finding machines on which it will _not_ boot -- so
I find the fact that you have *three* machines it won't work on, highly
suspicious.  There is something else at work here.
(Bad copy?)

> I down loaded Mysql for Windows and SQL CC Also a package called access
> dump( well i down loaded about 4 translators ) but this one worked it
> picked all of the tables and created a SQL file.
>
> So i worked out how to get these in to Mysql.

Actually, by far the easiest way is to export all your data in
comma- or tab-delimited format, with the field names in the first line
of the file; then import that into MySQL.
MySQL will then automatically create a clone of your database for you.
You then write the appropriate web pages to input data to the database;
likewise to extract it in whatever format(s) required by users.

>  I tried to copy the SQL text from Access and paste in to a SQL
> query but it did not like that !!

Not surprising!  (Access is only M$-specific 'sort-of' SQL.)  I doubt
you could do this for anything other than the simplest of statements
even with SQL-statement-compatible servers of differing origins, in
fact.

>  The way the Access Data base had
> been set up was some anyone could use it using forms to add data as
> required and macros to run quires to get a printed report so some thing
> like this will be my aim.

Yes; that pretty graphical interface Access has will have to be
re-created as web pages, I'm afraid.  All good experience in using PHP
to interface to a MySQL database though -- both in pushing data in, and
hauling it out again!
[If necessary, you can control user access to the web-pages/directory
using htaccess.]
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/