[Glastonbury] (no subject) - is Running PHP pages

Kelvin McNulty glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 07:01:00 2003

Sent this using wrong email address, might have rejected it...

On Sunday 13 July 2003 17:14, tom hayward wrote:
> Its Tom hayward here...
>
> I am learning PHP from a site and it told me to type something in PHP a=
nd
> save it.
> When i opened it, it said choose a program toopen it with. What do i do=
?

You need to fetch it using http. You'll need to run Apache to do this, an=
d put=20
the file in the place from which Apache serves Web pages, then open a bro=
wser=20
(I use Konqueror). Provided that the Apache config file has the right=20
directives to deal with PHP, it will fetch the page when you enter a URL =
that=20
starts with http://localhost/ and ends with the file name that you used t=
o=20
save the page.

To run Apache, I typed httpd<return> as superuser.

I found all this to be quite easy in SuSE 8.1, in which web pages are ser=
ved=20
from=20
/srv/www/htdocs. I can also run them from /home/username/public_html usin=
g a=20
URL like http://localhost/~username/phppage.php

Best,

Kelvin