[Glastonbury] Javascript

glastonbury@mailman.lug.org.uk glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 11:37:01 2003

hi

Javascript is used to make web pages functional i.e. forms, cookies, image
swaps, al sorts of things which can't be done with straightforward HTML. A good
site is javascript.internet.com (i think) - type javascript in google and
you'll find several sites. basically, these sites allow you to test and they
explain and demonstrate what each script does. sometimes they only work in IE ,
not Netscape but this isrelatively rare and wil usually be stated.

Basically, the scripts are free and 'off the shelf', and cut'n'paste. Once you
have copied the script, it needs to be placed into the HTML page, in the code,
and needs to be adapted for that particular page's needs.

Sometimes this goes in the HEAD, sometimes the BODY or both. There can be
problems with using more than one JS in a page (they can affect each other
adversely). Usually there are instructions with each line of code and pointers
to where you need to edit and not edit. Haven't used it much,  but there is a
test site which uses JS i've been making at
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/starline.design. The galleries image swaps and
preload use JS.

Hope this is of some use. If need any more help email.Good luck
Duncan