[Glastonbury] Linux/Mandrake Question

nick irwin glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 14:52:01 2003

On Friday 18 Jul 2003 11:05, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> Start another by typing in:  startx -- :1  (virtual terminal 1), and go
> look at it using Ctrl/Alt/F8.

Yeah thanks, I had found that command before but had forgot it. And it does
indeed work.

I am interested in getting more than one to start on boot. The file that needs
to be edited as far as I can tell is /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.
I have edited it from:
	:0 local /bin/nice -n -10 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16

to:
	:0 local /bin/nice -n -10 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -deferglyphs 16 :0
	:1 local /bin/nice -n -10 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8 -deferglyphs 16 :1

as well as a few other variations such as without the vt* bit and the :0 and
:1 at the end of the lines, I even tried removing the /bin/nice command. But
nothing seems to work.
Any thoughts

> > Another question of interest is, is it possible for different user
> > accounts to use different screen resolutions? If so how? and is anyone
> > aware if Mandrake lacks this ability?
>
> Your screen resolution is set for the machine in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config<-4>.
>
> Individual users should change the resolution by pressing Ctrl/Alt/+ or
> Ctrl/Alt/-  (Use the + and - keys from the numeric keypad, NOT the top
> line of keys.)  If you have more than one possible resolution set in
> XF86Config or XF86Config-4, this will enable you to scroll through them,
> one by one.

I found this ability while searching on the net, but I HATE it, the whole
having a desktop bigger than the screen resolution is one of the things I
hated about Linux the first time I used Red Hat.

I can't believe that changing the screen resolution (as well as desktop) is so
much hastle in Linux.

Ho hum

Thanks for your help Martin

--