[Glastonbury] rattled ~ a reply

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 24 23:49:00 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, s~TV wrote:

> duncan was quoting the mindset you wish to flame martin ~ not giving his
> personal opinion.
 . . .
> you really need to accept that he was commending GIMP and wants to learn
> more.

Of course I do -- you really need to get used to my (very) heavy-handed
sense of humour / verbal style.  I'm actually a very placid Buddhist
type physically -- I just have a wicked way with words, which I exercise
outrageously, and without restraint.  [As some may already have
noticed in other fora.]  It comes from a professional lifetime of
winding up students to near nervous breakdown in tutorials -- testing
to destruction their awareness of the implications of the words they're
using.  Read it, and totally ignore it if it hurts -- but if it makes
you think, so much the better.
There isn't really an ounce of malice in me -- just a great deal of
verbal acuity, working overtime.
(And I hope Duncan was aware of this.  I'm not a very difficult person
to suss.)

> i see no reason why you should be rattled by his comments.

<grin>  I'm an absolute stickler for jumping on anything that could
possibly be construed as a "thoughtless comment".  [see above]
It's now second nature.

> what with martin? violence never solved anything.

Who's proposing violence?  My (extreme, at times) 'violence' of verbal
style is intended to stimulate *thought* -- NOT physical reaction.
I'm just too thoroughly lazy for anything like that.

> that is why i need your (the public's) help to write to the press and
> tell them what is so unique about St Dunstan's using Free Software.

Well, I did make an offer to Christian, but I guess my writing style put
him off!

With tongue well in cheek,

Thoroughly Unrepentant Arrogant Git, of Glastonbury
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/