[Glastonbury] rattle & roll /Flash & SQL & PHP

glastonbury@mailman.lug.org.uk glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 25 13:29:00 2003

Hi steve & Martin

Thanx for backing me up there steve - u sussed it. I was reflecting the general
attitude i've met in some small part of the design world regarding GIMP - that
Photoshop, being an industry standard at the moment (though not necessarily in
the film world etc) is the be all and end all; and that GIMP receives a certain
amount of disdain. Currently looking into GIMP has shown me that it is very
powerful, and offers a great great  amount and many alternatives to Pshop, and
that there is a huge amount available in it, currently and yet to come. Its
only limitation which is acknowledged is the lack of pre-press facilities (i.e.
CMYK) but i'm sure that there's a few geniuses out there who will resolve this
and create a plugin / code which will make this available. That'll be the
day...Let it rest now...

Also because its open & free means that a poor man like me can use it freely
without the mock shadow of licenses & cost lurking behind me...

Anyway, i too like to play devil's advocate with words and was conscious of
what i was writing... and the advancement of LINUX & applications wouldn't get
anywhere without the emotive and intellectual drive behind it, so cheers
martin...peace.

Theres a site people may be interested to look at -
www.balloonsender.co.uk.
This uses Flash in dialogue with SQL and PHP, which is another option. But I
guess, unless Flash is used in LINUX (via Crossover or something), it must have
been done in Windows so that defeats the object a bit!

Duncan