Networking 101 [Was: Re [Glastonbury] Firewall and Cable] [LONG]

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jul 27 20:57:01 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:11:48AM -0700, Maurice Onmaplate wrote:

> Yes, two networked up, the otehr two not because I
> only have 2 Cables so far, and one is a MAC.  Plan is
> to get all networked.
OK. Good luck with the Mac.  I can find you details if
necessary - does it run OS-X??

<snip until discussing speed to the outside world>
> 0.5MB for this I gather.
Doesn't matter what USB cabling you use then as far as I know.

> > I've got SuSE 8.0 as my latest SuSE - it supports
> > USB and common ADSL
> > modems out of the box as far as I can see.

Versions may be significant here.  In general terms, try and
upgrade to the most modern copy of the distribution that you
can.  Various ADSL modems have only become widespread within
the last year or so - you may need to move to later than version
7.2 for reasonable support.  Plus, of course, you get the
benefit of security fixes and other functional updates that a
newer version may bring.

> As for USB I believe there is USB 1 and USB 2 and I
> understood the cables are the same.  BUT I have found
> problems sloting USB cables in on older machine, and
> some ports on XP box [which has about 8 USB ports
> IIRC].  Is a USB 2.0 Cable slightly fatter or wider at
> the PC end than a 1.0 port will take?

See above - not to my knowledge (but I Could Be Very Wrong Here) :)

Andy