[Glastonbury] photoshop / gimp

glastonbury@mailman.lug.org.uk glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 16:59:09 2003

generally u can get trial versions of Photoshop but usually thru official
lines, it needs to be bought (a few hundred quid plus) and to be used
commercially u are supposed to have a license. These are for standalone or
network, and it is these which, due to their high cost affect small businesses
and education establishments. But like i said, this is the official approach...

So this backs up the quality and value of GIMP as free and open source.

Photoshop can be installed on LINUX using Crossover Office. I have recently
been combining GIMP & Photoshop in LINUX, with very effective results. GIMP is
a program in itself and could be picked up without prior knowledge of Photoshop
though it shares similar functions and working processes at times.

Also the scripts are available for access (script::fu, gimp::fu, perl::fu, etc)
(a lot of the scripting is PERL) so a skilled user or programmer can adapt GIMP
to work as they want...

Oh - and animation in GIMP - generaaly done with layers to produce an Animated
GIF...there is a way to create MPEGS with animation but haven't tried...

Anyway enough graphics talk - lots of emails to read
Duncan