[Glastonbury] Python [WAS: Another company recognizes Liux is HERE!]

Maurice Onmaplate glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 26 12:25:01 2003

--- Sean Miller <sean@seanmiller.net> wrote:

> I guess programming backgrounds are probably
> something that we should go
> over in the group, in order to advertise our various
> areas of
> "expertise" (or similar) in case they are of use to
> the group...

Well my experiance has always been watching the IT
guys Fup everything up by a complete lack of any
thought process.  Then when you try and tell them they
say "..now WHO is the IT professional here??" and look
at me as if I'm an idiot!

ok ok maybe thats a slight overstatement ;)

Mind you being stuck between highly qualified
accountants and professional IT guys it's like a hell
on earth.

Anyway I'm really a highly flexible user of tools,
report writers etc., and [when it matters] can
generally think the solution out and at least know
what is needed.  IT people just seem to take months to
understand what is needed.

I've seen code written by 'experts' in VB, Clipper,
C++, Oracle RDBMS and probably others.  I've seen
amateur Java code.

I've picked up enough Clipper and self-taught myself
so I can probably do virtually anything in
Clipper/xBase++ [Dos and Windows respectively].  I'd
probably outperform many professionals once I got
going [would love the challenge].  Not much use to a
Linux group, especially as in Plymouth!

I've also played with a dozen or so variants of Basic,
and would class this as a second string after the
above.  Had to maintain a Pick dataBasic payroll once,
which is fun as a line manager!

One aspect of Clipper/xBAse++ that has always
fascinated me is the idea that code can be written in
almost anyw ay you like, IF you have the corresponding
pre-processorm code.  So why not write in Basic or
whatever, and convert to Clipper.  Strange idea I'd
like to fully explore....one day.

Oh and BTW I've looked at that arachaphile editor and
it seems to only edit certain file types, Pyhthon was
not listed [and .PRG's wasn't either].  Colour coding
is allowed only for HTML, and I can't see any way to
extend that to things other than tags.

I really will have to dosome serious reading on Python
tommorrow.