[Glastonbury] Fw: hello all

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Nov 2 05:44:56 GMT 2003

On Saturday 01 November 2003 18:13, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> (Dual-booting would seem to be in order for this week -- just a
> thought.  Steve?  Tim?)

It would certainly bear discussion. Although I am glad to say I am clear of
immediate problems thanks to Andy's help :-) It would be worth covering the
salient points of LILO and other boot systems if others are used. I would
like to be able to be more confident when people ask me 'Yes, but can I keep
my windows as well'. At present I can tell them 'yes' in theory - As I've
never double booted with Windows I am unclear as to the process.

Some kind of discussion of general approaches to system configuration might
be in order. My main issues are around Printing/Fonts and Sound, personally,
but they may involve a review of core configurations. I've never got round to
understanding how to set, for example, the DISPLAY variable, or indeed worked
out how it is used. The system complains frequently enough about it not being
there.

While I'm at it - Advanced Monitor tweaking. I don't have a manual for my
monitor and the range of output it will accept from my video card - the
onboard i810 - is limited. I would like my video output to be 'square' to
itself at least and as close to 1:1 as possible or at least dot for dot. I'm
probably not using the correct terms here so I hope that made some sense.
I'd like to know how to write a good modeline and how to make my machine use
it in preference to anything else.

Wednesday week?
I look forward to catching up with you all again.

tim hall