[Glastonbury] firewall using 486 with floppy

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 2 12:43:47 GMT 2003

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 12:23:07PM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:51:17AM -0000, d.hopkins wrote:
> > >
> > > in the process of trying to setup a firewall using an old 486 machine
> > > (currently has windows 3.1 on which can be removed)
> > >
> > Does it not have a hard disk at all?
>
> Andy -- I ain't never seen 3.1 running from a single floppy :)

Fair point :)
> Duncan -- just remembered something from the last few weeks' extensive
> playing at building firewalls: if you can expand your memory to at least
> 48M, you'll find it makes life easier.  (64M if you're using Fedora
> [TDTUTBKARH].)
You won't do it with Mandrake/Red Hat/Fedora or SUSE - all those are now
586 only.  Not sure about IPCop - but smoothwall will demand 32M of
memory to install.

You _will_ do it with Debian or its derivatives.

> Yes, you can do it in 16M.  You can also juggle with chainsaws standing
> up in a hammock.
>

> > Linux Journal did a feature using Pebble (a Debian derivative) - 17M
> > download, 81M installed which might be just what's needed.  It was
> > installed on a 486 with 16M
> >
> > www.linuxjournal.com/article.php/sid=6787
>
>  ... now, where's that hammock...
I haven't tried an upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0 on a 486 - however, I have
a 486 to hand to try it on :)

Andy