[Glastonbury] Mandrake 9.2 a warning

Nick Irwin nirwin at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 03:00:27 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 09:12, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 21:15, tim hall wrote:
> > Nick,
> >
> > On Sunday 09 November 2003 11:14, Nick Irwin wrote:
> > > But I ask you was it accidental, or was it in fact PLANNED? Yes thats
> > > right my colleagues, after numerous release candidates, they never knew
> > > they had a problem with nvidia card support? No in fact i bet they did.
> >
> > The nVidia drivers are not 'free' software, the chances are that
> > Mandrakesoft aren't allowed to distribute the drivers with their OS. It's
> > the same with Debian and every other distro I know of. AFAIK this is not
> > a problem unique to Mandrake.
>
> XFree86 does include support for most nvidia cards, in the nv driver.
> (I use it with my GeForce2 Go.)

At that point in your E-mail, I have to stop and thank you, the word 'nv'
triggered something in my mind.
In order to get my graphics card to run 3d games well, i went through a number
of steps, one of which was changing the entry in XF86Config-4 from 'nv' to
'nvidia'. So I changed it back and kaboom! Here I am writing this message in
9.2.
Not sure about how my games will perform now, but time will tell and its
better than nothing.

It is at this point that I should probably retract the malicious words I threw
in mandrakesofts direction, so I humbly bow my head and apologise for my
actions.

--
Nick Irwin
Term-time E-mail: nirwin at blueyonder.co.uk