[Glastonbury] Meeting? What meeting?

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 13:59:01 GMT 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Rick Fitzsimmons wrote:

> Another newcomer to the list. I just discovered the Glastonbury LUG via
> Linux Format.

Excellent!  (Thank you LXF)

> Just saw a post referring to a meeting on Wednesday evening (First
> Installfest). How do I find out about meetings? The website says next
> meeting is 15th October 2003.

Ah-hah!  That's a cunning initiative test devised by our webmaster -- if
you pass that, you get to attend meetings ;-)

Seriously -- meetings are always held on the first Wednesday of the
month, in room T1 at St. Dunstan's School, Glastonbury.  Start time
usually 18:00; for talks beginning 19:00 and going on to 21:00.

This term, we've inserted extra meetings in the middle of the month (two
so far -- Oct. & Nov.) to take advantage of the dark winter nights.
This is because in summer, we tend to miss a few in the good weather :)

This week we're doing our first installfest -- as there are always
unforeseen problems, please arrive at at least 18:00 if you want to get
something installed on your machine before 21:00.

It helps everyone if you do a thorough preparation beforehand -- write
down what sort of chip, what spped, how much memory, what type of hard
drives, what type of video card, etc.etc. etc.

There's actually a HOWTO called the Pre-Installation-Checklist which is
well worth going through before you come on Wednesday night.
(Don't know how to find a HOWTO?  Well, go to google, and bloody well
learn!)

Or print out the text below.
Linux pre-installation checklist
GNU/Linux pre-installation checklist Prev Next
2. Linux pre-installation checklist
2.1. Before you fill out the checklist        Welcome to the world of Linux. Your first step in  installing
        Linux on your PC will begin by answering a few simple
        questions about your hardware.
                This checklist will make it easy for you and us to go through
        the  installation, painlessly and without  surprises.  Please
        take  your  own  time and fill up  the  following  checklist.
        Wherever   possible,  and  necessary,  we  have  given   some
        suggestions and hints, for your convenience.
                If you don't know all the details, you should be able to find
        them  in  your  computer's manuals.  Or,  ask  your  hardware
        vendor, or your local hardware "guru."
                If  you still have problems finding answers, don't  worry  --
        you   can  just  ignore any areas you don't know.  Bring   in
        your   machine  and  ALL manuals you have.  The  installation
        may succeed with some trials and  a lot of luck.
                Remember,  Linux,  like many other software  products,  is  a
        growing  product.  Some  of your hardware may  still  not  be
        supported  in  the version of Linux which is being installed.
                Each question below can be identified by the section number followed by
        the question number  (e.g. Section 2.3.1 is a question on processor speed). If  you
        need any assistance/clarifications about the questions  asked
        in this form, please specify the section identifier
        and the question number,  and send an email to:
        <algolog (at) hd1.vsnl.net.in> It is imperative that
        you also include the version number of the checklist.  The version number of
        this checklist can be found on the first page of the document.
                Assumptions:

                                        You are interested in installing Linux on a PC (386 upwards).
                                                You have a CDROM drive on your PC. You have made sure that
                        your proposed version of Linux supports this CDROM drive.
                        Check  latest  version of the
                        hardware howto at the Linux
                        Documentation Project (LDP).
                                                You  have at least one 3½" floppy diskette drive  on
                        your system.
                                                The 3½" diskette drive is a BOOTABLE drive.
                                                You will keep readily available, three,   bad-sector-free,
                        formatted  (3½"), blank   diskettes,  for use in the
                        installation procedure.
                                                If you wish to install Linux over  a   LAN,  you  have
                        confirmed  that your network interface card  is  supported
                        by your version of Linux. Check latest version of the
                        hardware howto at the LDP.

        2.2. About you                                Your Name ____________________
                                                Your contact phone numbers:
                                                Your email address ____________________
                                                Have you used Linux before ? What distribution?
                                                Have you used any version of Unix before ? Which one ?
                        On what hardware platform ?
                                                Is this an upgrade to an existing Linux distribution ?
                                                What will be the end-use of this Linux installation  ?
                                                Do you wish to retain DOS/Win/any other OS  along with
                        Linux, on your system ?
                                                Any other detail you want to add:

        2.3. General                                CPU type [i386, i486 DX2...]:
                                                Bus type [ISA, EISA, VESA, PCI, MCA ... ]:
                                                Processor speed (MHz) ?
                                                What size is your RAM (minimum 4 MB needed) ?
                                                Do   you  want  X Window System  (i.e.  Graphic  User
                        Interface for  Linux) to  be installed on your system ?
                                                How many serial ports (COM ports) do you have on your PC ?
                                                Are you planning to add dumb terminals to your PC ?
                        How many ?
                                                Please mention below, any additional details you wish to add:

        2.4. Mouse                                To which port  is your mouse connected ? What IRQ ?
                                                What type of mouse are you using
                        [Microsoft, Busmouse, PS/2 ..] ?
                                                How many buttons does the mouse have ?

        2.5. CD-ROM        Tip:         If you are not sure if your CDROM is bootable or
        not, power on the machine and go to BIOS settings (do not let
        the PC bootup). Look  for  bootable drive options in the BIOS
        settings.

                                What is the make and type of CDROM drive
                        [e.g. IDE ATAPI, Sony, S-B Pro/Panasonic,  SCSI,  true  IDE ..]  ?
                                                On  which drive interface [1st IDE, 2nd IDE, 3rd  IDE,
                        4th  IDE, SCSI, proprietary interface] and which drive
                        [drive 1 , drive 2, SCSI-ID 5]  is  the CDROM connected
                        (e.g. drive 2 of 1st IDE, SCSI-ID 5 of built-in SCSI
                        interface) ?
                                                 Is your CDROM a bootable drive ?

        2.6. Floppy drives                                Do you have a 3½" floppy drive?
                                                Is the 3½" floppy drive a bootable drive ?
                                                Do you have a 5¼" floppy drive?
                                                Is the 5¼" drive a bootable drive ?

        2.7. Tape drives                                 What  type  of tape drive do you have (can  be   NONE)
                         [floppy interface type, SCSI, parallel port ..] ?
                                                Do  you  have a secondary floppy controller  for  your
                        tape drive?

        2.8. Disk drives        Tip:         At this point, you must be clear  about  how your
        Linux will be  installed and  on which disk etc. You must also
        be   clear   how  your  Linux   will  be   booted  (there are
        different possibilities).
        Read the  Installation howto
        before you answer the following questions.

                                What type of drive do you have [IDE, SCSI, RLL, MFM ....] ?
                                                How many partitions are there on your first disk drive ?
                        Name, type, size ? Collect these details also for other
                        disk drives you may have on this machine.
                                                On which drive are you planning to install Linux (e.g. drive
                        2 of first IDE, or SCSI-ID 5 of built-in SCSI interface)
                                                Can  we  re-partition your disk ? (All  existing  data
                        will be lost)
                                                Which  partitions can be reformatted to  become  Linux
                        partitions ? Note: All  information  recorded  in this
                        partition will be erased.
                                                How  much of disk space can you give for  Linux [50 MB minimum] ?
                                                What is your second hard disk (if any)?
                                                What is your third hard disk (if any)?
                                                What is your fourth hard disk (if any)?
                                                What is your fourth hard disk (if any)?
                                                 Do you have any SCSI device ? Which SCSI controller do
                        you have (if any)?
                                                Do you plan to boot from your hard disk or floppy?
                                                On which hard  disk  partition  do you want LILO boot
                        loader to reside?
                                                Do you wish to retain the original boot sector/master
                        boot record that is currently on your hard disk?
                                                 On which disk partitions will your Linux root reside?
                                                Do you access the IDE drive in LBA mode (check your BIOS
                        settings) ?

        2.9. Video Display Units (Monitor and controller)        Tip:         If you do not  have good documentation  on  your
        VDU, try to look at the sticker (nameplate) on  the  back  of
        your VDU, you may find the answers  to  some of the questions
        given below.

                                What kind of monitor do  you have [Monochrome, Color]
                        [EGA, VGA, CGA ..] ? What make ?
                                                Size of screen [14", 15", 19"] ? Is it an
                        interlaced monitor ?
                                                What  are  the  resolutions, and  number  of   colors
                        possible on this monitor [600x480, 800x600, 1024x768]?
                                                What is your monitor's vertical refresh rate / vertical
                        sync. frequency (could be a range)?
                                                What is your monitor's horizontal refresh rate / horizontal
                        sync. frequency (could be a range) ?
                                                Monitor's bandwidth ?
                                                Video RAM size ?
                                                VDU Control card : make and model ?
                                                Chip set used in VDU control card ?
                                                What RAMDAC do you have ?

        2.10. Networking                                 Are you using an internal modem | external modem ?
                                                What make ?
                                                On which COM port is the modem connected ? What IRQ ?
                                                What is the speed of the modem [bps] ?
                                                What serial interface chip does your computer use (e.g.
                        8450, 16550C) ?
                                                Is it a "Windows only" modem [WIN-MODEM...] ?
                                                Which  ethernet card do you have [10base2 or  10baseT;
                        NONE for none] ? What type ?
                                                Will  this  machine  be  a part  of  Internet  or  any
                        Intranet ?
                                                Will this machine use a dialup connection / PPP connection
                        to an Internet/Intranet server ?
                                                Will this machine be used as an Internet or Intranet server ?
                                                What will be the hostname of your computer (e.g. penguin) ?
                                                What will be the domain name, if any, of your computer
                        (e.g. family_name.city.country)
                                                What will be the IP address, if any, of your computer
                        (e.g. 123.1.2.3) ?
                                                What is the IP address of the DNS server (can be none) ?
                                                 What is the IP address of the default router (can be none) ?

        2.11. Printers                                Have you connected any printer on the parallel port of
                        your PC ?
                                                What is the type, make of the printer ?

        2.12. Laptops                                Number and type of PCMCIA slots on your Laptop ?
                                                PC cards you plan to use ?
                                                Built-in devices on your laptop (e.g. trackball,
                        pointer, touchpad) ?
                                                COM ports used for the above built-in devices ?

        2.13. Miscellaneous        Tip:         Try to make a  consolidated hardcopy list of I/O
        addresses, IRQs, DMA-addresses  used by the different devices
        in your machine. Take  care  to find out  the   configuration
        details of your VDU-driver card, Ethernet card, SCSI card etc.

                                Does  your keyboard use a round connector  (DIN-5)  or
                        PS/2 connector?
                                                 Do  you  plan to use keyboard mapping to  any  non-US
                        keyboards [French, Greek, Cyrillic, ..] ?
                                                Are you using any Plug & play devices ?
                                                Are  you using any sound card ? What card ? What  I/O,
                        IRQ, DMA does it use ?
                                                How many ISA spare  slots do you have ?
                                                How many EISA spare slots do you have ?
                                                How many VESA spare slots do you have ?
                                                How many PCI spare slots do you have ?
                                                How many other (describe) spare slots?
                                                What  kind of other removable media do you have  (can
                        be NONE)?
                                                 Do you have any other interesting hardware?
                                                 Please add any details you wish to highlight:

        2.14. Feedback        Did   you  find  this  form  clear  ?  Any  suggestions   for
        improvement ?

                Thanks for filling out the form.
        Please cross check the above  responses, and keep the checklist
        handy at the time of installation.
        PrevHomeNextIntroduction What next...?

Cheers,