[Glastonbury] Chroot veg on the menu

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Nov 28 03:12:27 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I'm having rather a lot of fun with this chrooted system, but I'm getting to
the point where I could do with some further reading on the subject and work
out how to do it properly. The only actual problem I'm having is that some
drives dont unmount properly when I reboot, I'm not entirely sure why that
is. Last reboot was clean so I'll be fine for now, but I'd like to understand
the shutdown process better, I'm beginning to get the hang of the boot
sequence.

The other issues are more experimental - Is it possible to send mail between
the chroot and real root systems? Obviously the main system can mount the
chroot (I put it on /mnt, seemed logical at the time) but the chroot can't
see the main system or use many facilities (I'm thinking of Alsa/Jack
Mailsystem) although it can access the web server ok. Any pointers towards
some useful info in this department would be gratefully received.

I've finally managed to get MusE working and I've begun editing some pieces
and looking into soundfonts. I've not really got round to looking at any
other music software yet, some of it looks rather intriguing. I'm still
trying to get my external MIDI keyboard to work with anything at all. I'm
working my way through an updated version of the Linux MIDI Howto, so
hopefully I can resolve this soon.

The other odd item of configuration is the menus. The KDE menu is a mess and
the Debian one could be improved upon. I'm familiar with the locations of the
menu files in /usr/share/ and also the KDE config utility, but it seems that
if I start moving the directories around too much the menu then fails to
auto-update, which is a feature I like, even if it does occasionally fail to
include ceratin programs that I've just downloaded. I'd like to know more
about how the menu system(s) work, mostly so I can streamline mine into a
more unified whole.

That's quite enough questions for now

hopefully see you all soon

tim hall