[Glastonbury] Newbie to Glastonbury LUG

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 20:27:28 BST 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Nigel Goldsmith wrote:

>  I have been lurking on the newsgroup for
> about a week now. Hoping to see details of when and where you meet.

Ooops.  You just missed one -- Wednesday night, St.Dunstan's, Rm T1.
(Next one -- beginning of November -- unless we put an extra one in on
the fifteenth, which I'm tempted to do this month.  Any takers?
Steve -- is that possible with the school?)

> Do you
> have a regular calendar or is it as and when?

Regular -- first Wednesday of the month, Room T1, St. Dunstan's
Community Centre (School).

We try to do 17.00 - 19.00 -- individual installs, disk copying, etc.
             19.00 - 21.00 -- some sort of structured talk.

I've been trying to write and thank all those who turned up this week --
it was a good night, apart from a little contre-temps with locked doors,
but we eventually got in and made ourselves at home.

The scheduled Martin & Sean show (Apache, PHP & MySQL interworking)
actually resolved itself to the Sean show only (you can only plug one
laptop into the projector at a time); but an impressive virtuoso
demonstration of using technicolour vi was given, on top of the very
useful demo of relationships within a relational database, and how to
manipulate them and view them from the command line as well as via a gui
such as phpmyadmin.  (And what it all looks like on a web-page, of
course.)

All in all, a very worthwhile evening -- lots of little practical tips
on using the three applications thrown out, and lots of stuff to want
to rush home and play with.  (See Tom's mails!)

Having put sample material up on the net before the meeting to support
the talk, Sean and I have now decided it's a tradition [we're a very
fast-moving user Group] for speakers to publish supporting material for
their talks on a public website somewhere.  Don't worry if you haven't
got one -- we can both supply public webspace if you need it; so, this
week's stuff can be found at:

  [mw]  http://startext.demon.co.uk/lugog/
and
  [sm]  http://seanmiller.net/lugog/

 -- be aware, it's still in a state of flux as we add explanatory notes,
etc.  (And none of my own stuff was demonstrated, anyway, so it's a case
of having to read the source to find out what it's all about to begin
with!)

Only other comments to add to the evening:
  -  Scribus installs no problem under Debian -- don't know what the
hassle was with RH9;
  -  the CMS Sean demonstrated -- phpwebsite -- requires PHP 4.2.2 to
run -- OK if you're running Knoppix (which gives PHP 4.2.3 out of the
box) -- but not if you're using stable/testing, which is still stuck at
4.1.2

Cheers all,