[Glastonbury] Installing type1 fonts + OpenOffice

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Oct 21 04:18:55 BST 2003

Hi all,

Little Question:->

I'm having trouble installing new fonts so that programs like OpenOffice can
use them and most importantly, print using them. I suspect that I'm missing
some part of the procedure necessary to register them, either with
Ghostscrpit, or some other family of application that needs to be able to
access the new fonts. Does anyone have any experience of installing fonts?

I have been saving the new edited fonts as PS type1 (binary) as JoeUser,
There are several other formats including (ascii). I'm using the default
setting, which creates a .pfb a .afm and a .bdf - I put these in
/usr/share/fonts/type1/...
I notice there is a separate file for adobe .afms, but I have so far ignored
that.

I run type1inst inside the newfonts directory as root. I understand that this
also runs update-fonts-dir and update-fonts-scale, which I have also tried.
The only program so far that I can get to usefully display these new fonts is
OpenOffice. I run oopadmin as JoeUser again, this utility finds the .pfb file
in the newfonts directory and then I'm confused. I have partial success,
where I can see and print the first font I edited, which I have since
improved upon. The printer still uses the old version, but OO.o presents me
with the new version on screen and won't display the other new font at all,
despite oopadmin being able to pick up the .pfb of it.

I'm wondering if there's any good online reading material, particularly
explaining how the font thingy works under debian (using xfs) or if there's
obviously one thing I'm missing out from all this then any pointers would be
gladly appreciated.

cheers

tim hall