[Glastonbury] Java

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 20:50:11 GMT 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:01:45PM -0000, Sean Miller wrote:
<snip>
> > So I willingly click OK and it downloads the software (AGAIN) and tells me
> it
> > cant install it because access is denied (i'm not root).
> >
> > I have also downloaded the self extracting binary from the site and
> installed
> > it in my user account and restarted Mozilla, but to no avail.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas/experience/suggestions that might help with
> this
> > problem?
[nirwin wrote most of the above]

Check/change the permissions on the plugin directory?

> Yup, bugging me too... these Linux browsers are terrible compared to
> Micro$oft ones in that they download plug-ins but don't put them into the
> right directories. You'd think these "superior" Open Source developers that
> Andy and Martin liaise with would work out how to make "Click OK to download
> Plugin" actually complete the process wouldn't you?!?!?!

What is the "right directory" for
elinks/links/Lynx/w3m/Opera/Galeon/Dillo/Gzilla/W3C Amaya/
Epiphany/Mozilla Firebird/Netscape 3.x/Netscape 4.x/Netscape 6.x/
Konqueror/Mozilla/Sun HotJava/Mosaic 2.7/W3C Chimera or the CERN client??

Or, for that matter, Viola/MSIE 3.x/4.x/5.x/6.x???

Whose JRE and which version? 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4?? Sun/IBM/Microsoft/Blackdown
Linux port/GNU Classpath stuff??

All of the above may be relevant.

I think that you'll find all of the browsers that support plugins have a
configuration setting that will let you sort out where they load the
plugins from.  If you've previously been running Netscape, I think
Mozilla will understand the structure below your .netscape directory,
for example.

> Unfortunately they don't.... one day they will, and that will be when
> Mozilla etc. finally starts to challenge IE.

Unfortunately, I've possible bad news for you.  Microsoft have
apparently stopped development of IE as a standalone product and have also
announced plans to end Outlook Express.  You may now have to pay for the
full version of Outlook.  Mozilla Thunderbird/Firebird/the Mozilla "full
browser" and others remain available for Windows/Mac/Solaris/Linux/BSD.
Fairly soon "free" browsers or low cost browsers such as Opera may be
the only choice realistically available.

> Anybody who can supply advice on how to resolve plug-ins will have a beer
> next time we meet.... :-)

I don't drink alcohol, and would counsel and request that other people also
refrain out of respect for the holy month of Ramadan and the teachings
of the Prophet (SAW) - but I'll happily tap you for a lemonade next time
I'm in Glastonbury :)

HTH,

Andy