[Glastonbury] Boot on the other Drive [was: Downgrading with apt-get]

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Oct 30 01:55:20 GMT 2003

Hello again,

I've been doing a bit more research and pondering about this business of
upgrading my Debian installation:

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 20:06, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> It may be worth living more on the bleeding edge, potentially, not least
> because the newer kernels have security fixes.  "Testing" / Sarge would
> be a hard upgrade over a dial-up, but I can potentially burn you the
> CD's and send them via Martin - that's about 11 cds.  apt-cdrom add
> would then add them to your list and you could apt-get update ; apt-get
> dist-upgrade from them.

I think I'm ready to take you up on your offer now Andy.

I'm thinking of double-booting. I've got my existing Debian/Woody on hda
[10GB Maxtor] and I've got a 20GB Seagate[mumble] on hdb.

Can I boot from hdb using LILO?

I've questioned the developers on the matter and basically no-one appears to
have tried running demudi with testing[Sarge]. The idea being that I keep my
nice stable-but-out-of-fashion Woody on hda and install testing on hdb and
might as well go for demudi/devel in my sources.list and then ponder deeply
the meaning of 'broken dependecies' :-]
Point is it won't matter too much if I can't get it all to work at once and I
daresay I could copy the configurations over directly from the existing ones.

This way I will still be able to boot back to hda and email the developers to
tell them what works & what doesn't. They say they'd love to know.

Is it possible to do this with runlevels, say runlevel 2 runs the hda Woody
system and runlevel 5 runs hdb Demudi? Is this possible/desirable?

I look forward to any constructive comments, suggestions or voices of
experience on double booting this way.

cheers

tim hall