[Glastonbury] Installing type1 fonts + OpenOffice

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Oct 30 01:55:20 GMT 2003

Hi,

Right. Thanks for the pointer Martin.
I think that's set me on the right track.

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 12:21, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> Tim -- are you using the Debian Font Manager?
>
> ['apt-get install defoma'; then 'man defoma' are probably your friends
> here]

Ah. It seems I had defoma installed and mighty it seems indeed.
I'm having slight trouble establishing a friendship with this one.
I was a little confused as to the specification of 'Hints'.

I created my fonts with pfaedit, which gives each letter a 'hint' with
parameters like HStem or VStem, base # and Size #

The defoma-font command asks for arguments in this format:

       defoma-font [options] register category font hints...
       defoma-font [options] register-all hintfile
       defoma-font [options] reregister-all hintfile

Which ends up like this (quoting from the manpage):

 defoma-font -vt register type1 /usr/share/fonts/type1/foo.pfa \
         --FontName Helvetica --Charset ISO8859-1 --Weight Medium \
         --Shape Upright NoSerif --GeneralFamily SansSerif
or:
 defoma-font reregister-all /etc/defoma/hints/microsoft.hints

Obviously, I don't have a hintfile for my new fonts so I need to specify
'hints' in the format of the first example. So I look at defome-hints.

So:
I run defoma-hints type1 /usr/share/fonts/type1/newfonts/*.pfb >
/etc/defoma/hints/newfonts.hints as root

Which runs me through a series of questions

and then: defoma-font register-all /etc/defoma/hints/newfonts.hints

with no errors
I then ran oopadmin as joeuser and registered the fonts with OpenOffice.
Still no joy. So I restart X and save the email.

Still no joy.
Can you tell me what I'm missing, or at least how to generate some useful
error messages out of this?

Hopefully

tim hall