[Glastonbury] for info

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 12 00:59:01 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, s~TV wrote:

> as to the next meet watch this space:
> (looks likely to be the first weds in october)
>
> also the ict centre in benedict street have pointed out to me that
> someone said st dunstan's let us (as a user group) down.
> this is not actually true as due to staff absence we were unable to make
> use of the facilities during a holiday period.
> our new night caretaker has now begun work and i will be doing my utmost
> to get his support.
> please let me do this in *my own way*.

Fine, Steve.

But the situation was, neither you nor Mike had replied to frantic calls
on the mailing-list for alternative venues, and I didn't feel it was
suitable to go another full month without at least some attempt at
arranging a meet, so I went to see the ICT Centre personally.

Their attitude of: "We're not here for the good of the public; we're
here to further our own civil service rules, regulations and careers"
impressed me not one little bit.  (I have this strange illogical
attitude: I believe that civil servants are there to serve the civic
population; NOT their own narrow-minded navel-gazing anally-retentive
interests.
Yeah; unreal, I know -- but then I'm like that.
Oh, and I also tend to let them know that's what I think -- undiplomatic
or not.)

Anyway, at the meeting at the Who'd A Thought It, we decided on using
the Phoenix as a fall-back in future, as that way we can obviate the
problems of finding someone to lock up the premises after us.

I'm NOT ungrateful for what the school is providing for us; I'm just
carefully arranging fallback alternatives so we don't find ourselves in
the same situation again, that's all.

Cheers,
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/