[Glastonbury] PHP + MySQL

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Wed Sep 24 13:20:52 BST 2003

Hi all,

The nights are drawing in, and I find myself back behind my computer again.
Certain things about the phpMyAdmin web interface are beginning to bug me.
This is mostly because I am running LAMP on a P133 w/ 64MB Memory. I /am/
planning to upgrade this autumn, but I'm sticking with what I've got as it's
reasonably well configured and It's a useful exercise to optimise what I've
got.

Martin, you mentioned a ?couple of GUI clients for MySQL, could you refresh
my memory? - The web interface is painfully slow for managing databases -
each page taking up to 10 seconds sometimes to load. So I need something that
runs as a binary. It's good to have become familiar with PHPMyAdmin, as it
will surely be the interface I will have to use on the web. However doing the
work locally and then uploading a single .csv style text file is going to be
a /lot/ less aggravating.

Thanks for the introduction to PHP. I've got enough of a grasp of the basics
to display data from various tables in a pretty format. The next thing I want
to know is how to use PHP to enter data into the tables, and preferably
securely too ! I look forward to the next installment on October 1st.

See y'all soon

tim hall