[Glastonbury] Linux's latest...

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.uklinux.net
Mon Apr 26 11:59:29 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 03:04, Nick Irwin wrote:
> Well, just thought I'd provoke some conversation about the latest Linux
> developments.
>
> I installed Mandrake 10.0 today and took a plunge in the deep end with the 2.6
> Kernel! I'm also onto KDE 3.2 and ALSA sound among other things.

I tried to install Debian 3 yesterday, since I've been thinking of
switching to Debian for a while.

I think I've changed my mind! I had nothing but trouble, and still can't
get X running (with an nvidia geforce 5200 - not exactly a rare card!)

I wish they'd focus on quality rather than quantity a bit more. (They
try to support too many packages on too many architectures, and fail.)

> First things first, Kernel 2.6..... well being an average Joe of a user, it
> doesn't really make much difference to me, but I'm so glad that my CD-writer
> no longer has to be emulated as a SCSI drive, load up times seem faster in
> places and thats about it. Oh and I managed to confuse KDE to the point where
> it couldn't tell me what Kernel I was using - had to re-install to solve that
> little gem.

I've got Robert Love's book about the 2.6 kernel, which is pretty
interesting (for a hacker).

> Another niggle is that now whenever I use the scroll wheel on my mouse it
> affects the bottom scroll bar not the side one...... how this ended up being
> the case I may never know, maybe someone thought it was a good default.

Does your /etc/X11/XF86Config have this line in the mouse section:

        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

I don't know KDE. Maybe you can also configure it there.

Damon